Omaha CEO Receives Distinguished Career Award From Goodwill Industries International
February 22, 2012
- Network of 165 community-based agencies in the United States and Canada with affiliates in 13 other countries.
- Provides job training and employment services, job placement opportunities and post-employment support.
- Strengthens communities and families by training people to become independent, tax-paying members of society.
- Over 6.7 million people benefited from Goodwill career services.
- Over 216,000 people placed in jobs.
- $4.89 billion total revenue.
- 82 percent of revenues funded employment programs and support services.
- More than 2,700 stores and an online auction site, www.shopgoodwill.com.
- Over 83 million donors.
ROCKVILLE, MD — For exceptional service to Goodwill Industries® for more than 30 years, Frank McGree, president and CEO of Goodwill Industries, Inc., Serving Eastern Nebraska and Southwest Iowa (Omaha), has been honored with the 2012 J.D. Robins Distinguished Career Award from Goodwill Industries International.
The annual award, now in its 20th year, recognizes a Goodwill CEO’s achievements at his or her local Goodwill agency as well as contributions to the Goodwill enterprise as a whole. Winners must have served at the executive level for at least 25 years to be eligible for the award.
A quarter century ago, McGree’s Goodwill employed 94 people and served 200 individuals. It operated four retail stores and recorded revenues of $1.6 million. Now, the agency employs more than 550, serves more than 10,000 people annually, operates 13 stores, and manages seven NISH contracts to provide employment opportunities for people with disabilities. In 2011, the Goodwill generated $27 million in revenues.
Under McGree’s leadership, the agency’s board successfully completed a $10 million capital campaign for a new corporate headquarters and training facility. In 2011, the Goodwill opened a 90,000-square-foot retail operations center that houses the Dell Reconnect program, a free drop-off program for any brand of electronic equipment. The center also houses an electronic store, a by-the-pound store, an e-books program, a commercial contracts operation, and a shopgoodwill.com® operation.
“Frank McGree’s impact and leadership have been felt throughout every board, committee and project in which he’s participated,” said Jim Gibbons, president and CEO of Goodwill Industries International.
McGree has served two terms on the board of directors for Goodwill Industries International, and one as chair of its Conference of Executives. One of his most recent leadership roles has been co-chair of Goodwill’s Going Green Steering Committee, which leads the enterprise’s sustainability efforts.
The award was presented during Goodwill’s annual Conference of Executives meeting in San Antonio, TX, on Tuesday, February 21.