Employment and Training Administration to fund programs that prepare justice-involved youth for workforce success
ROCKVILLE, MD — Goodwill Industries International (GII) has received a grant award of $4 million from the U.S. Department of Labor’s Employment and Training Administration for continued support of the Growth Opportunities (GO) program that prepares justice-involved youth and young adults, ages 15–24, for success in the workplace. GII will provide sub-awards to five local Goodwill organizations that serve large populations of youth who have been impacted by the justice system.
With this funding, the GO program will help prepare 350 youth and young adults for employment through placement in paid work experiences. These young adults will also benefit from other critically needed supports from their local Goodwill organizations, including wrap-around supportive services; violence prevention, mentorship, conflict resolution and leadership development training; mentorships; education and occupational skills development; and job search and placement services.
Community-based Goodwill organizations that will support justice-involved youth through the GO program are located in the following cities: Greenville/Spartanburg, SC; Houston, TX; Santa Ana, CA; Shreveport, LA; and Tacoma, WA. Each local Goodwill organization will partner with state and local justice systems and employers to offer a pipeline of talented candidates with the right skills for in-demand jobs.
This funding aligns with the Biden-Harris Administration’s efforts to advance public safety by reducing violent crime and smoothing the path for young adults to successfully return to their communities with the resources they need to succeed.
MERS/Missouri Goodwill Industries also received a separate grant award of $2 million to support the GO program and help justice-impacted youth and young adults with career training and placement services in their local communities.
# # #
ABOUT GOODWILL INDUSTRIES INTERNATIONAL
Goodwill Industries International is a network of 155 community-based, autonomous organizations in the U.S. and Canada with a presence in 12 other countries. Goodwill industries International is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides people with opportunities and support to empower themselves and thrive through training, development and employment. Local Goodwill organizations provide career navigation, skills training, job placement and other community-based services funded in part by selling donated clothing and household items in nearly 3,300 stores and at ShopGoodwill.com®.
ABOUT THE GOODWILL® LIFELAUNCH: GO PROGRAM
The Goodwill® LifeLaunch: GO Program is made possible with a $4 million grant award, covering 86% of operating costs, from the U.S. Department of Labor Employment and Training Administration. Goodwill is contributing leveraged funding valued at $667,414 to cover the remaining 14% of operational costs.