Moving is always considered one of the most stressful experiences we can have. However, if you are going to be moving soon, I challenge you to think of moving as an opportunity instead– an opportunity to streamline your life!
Packing requires you to physically touch every item you own. As you sort your stuff, you have the opportunity to make a decision about each thing. When else do you get this kind of “day of reckoning” with your stuff?
Make it a goal to move into your new place with only the things you use and love and value the most. You will have more storage space available, less stuff to maintain and worry about, and an amazing feeling of freedom!
Here are some questions to ask yourself as you go through the process:
- Is this valuable enough to me to pay someone by the pound to move it to another place?
- What would it cost in time and money to acquire this again?
- Does anyone I know have one of these I can easily borrow?
- How much money could I get for selling this instead of keeping it?
- When is the last time I can remember using it?
- How often do I use it? Weekly, monthly, yearly… never?
- What is a scenario in which I can picture myself using this, and how likely is that to happen?
- What is the worst thing that might happen if I donate or recycle it?
- Is there an alternative way to capture the essence and value of this item instead, maybe in a digital format such as a document or photograph?
- Does it help create an environment that supports me in my goals?
- If I flipped a coin right now, and heads was KEEP and tails was DONATE, which would I secretly be rooting for as the coin is landing?
- Does it make me feel positive or negative?
- If I were hit by a proverbial bus, would my family truly value this item, or even know what it is and why I kept it?
- What would my best friend/spouse/professional organizer say if she were standing here considering this?
- Will I feel good about keeping this item the next time I run across it?
- Does someone else need this more than I do?
You are going to end up with some trash, some items to sell, many items to pack and keep, and hopefully many items to DONATE. Find your nearest Goodwill donation center at http://donate.goodwill.org, or download the Goodwill app for your iPhone or Android phone.
Give yourself plenty of time to pack over a few weeks so that you are not pressured to postpone these decisions for the next house. Start with the least used items like books and seasonal clothing and work your way into packing the frequently used areas like the kitchen and laundry area last. Consider these questions, and enjoy your new streamlined space!