My Story: Stan Nesby

Goodwill is celebrating Older Americans Month and recognizing the contributions older workers (ages 55 and up) make both inside and outside the workforce. At a time when employers need to build resilience, older workers can play a critical role. They bring experience, reliability, and perspective to every workplace setting.

Stan Nesby is an older worker who is adamant about immersing himself in his community and surrounding himself with people who are dedicated to bettering the world. Proud of the work he has done and the support he received along the way, he talks excitedly about now being able to help others.

In August 2018, Stan was referred to the Senior Community Service Employment Program (SCSEP) at Goodwill Olympics and Rainer Region (Washington). Through the program, Stan was placed with the local Goodwill Financial Education & VITA Program for on-the-job training. During this time, Stan was recognized as a passionate team player who was always willing to offer a helping hand to his colleagues.

Prior to coming to Goodwill, Stan worked as a long-haul driver for 38 years, until he became unable to continue due to health issues. He came to SCSEP with no computer skills and a need to regain soft skills for employment within an office setting.

By October 2021, Stan was hired as a full-time employee with Shiloh Men’s Retreat through the local Vocational Rehabilitation Program.

“Through SCSEP, I found an opportunity where I get to help others, just like SCSEP helped me,” Stan states. He now oversees the community-based living situations for men as the house manager. Stan admits that his current role is partly administrator and partly counselor — and he would have it no other way.

Stan is grateful to SCSEP and Goodwill for the opportunity. He encourages future SCSEP participants to embrace the process and remember to give back.

If you are an older job seeker looking for help with training or paid work experience, contact your local SCSEP representative to see if you qualify. Learn more about SCSEP and find a SCSEP location near you.

Anyone looking to learn more about Goodwill job training programs or career search assistance can also contact their local Goodwill.

Goodwill® proudly participates in the Senior Community Service Employment Program (SCSEP), a national employment and training program funded by the U.S. Department of Labor. A $22,938,400 million grant from the U.S. Department of Labor provided 90 percent of the funding for Goodwill’s SCSEP programs in the program year 2021. Goodwill provided the remaining 10 percent through in-kind contributions worth $2,293,840. See for funding details.