December 9, 2013
A debilitating back injury forced Veena to have to leave her warehouse job where she’d been working for 15 years. She was referred to Goodwill, where she improved her computer skills and later served as a volunteer. She was later hired by Goodwill in February 2001 and has worked there ever since. “Anyone that is given a chance and puts forth an effort can move forward,” she says.Continue Reading »
December 6, 2013
Finding skirts and jackets made out of spectacular wool plaid at local thrift stores has become a hunt that I relish. Checking out women’s skirts and men’s sport coats for bright or unusual eye catching plaids is standard procedure. When something stands out, I hold it up and try to imagine it as a pillow, or even as ottoman fabric. Here’s a little secret I discovered a few years ago: pleated skirts have lots of fabric once you remove the waistband. When I came across this very short skirt, with the plaid on the diagonal, I knew it would be the perfect color and pattern for pillows.Continue Reading »
December 5, 2013
The Thanksgiving holiday fell later this year, which caused retailers great alarm since there would be six fewer shopping days left between Thanksgiving and Christmas. Congress is also running out of time between the holidays to accomplish their year-end goals, and yet they aren’t feeling the same level of angst. There are a number of unfinished items to work on but given that the holidays are upon us, I feel the highlights are best depicted as the Twelve Numbers of Congress. Sing along if you’d like.Continue Reading »
December 4, 2013
Andreas from Milwaukee, WI, asks, “I feel a bit lost – like I need to get my job and money under control. I’m thinking these should be my New Year’s resolutions this year. Do you have any tips?”Continue Reading »
December 3, 2013
Goodwill Industries of Northeastern Pennsylvania (Scranton) held their first runway show earlier this fall. A local banquet facility was the setting for an evening of fun, fashion and awareness. More than 200 people were in attendance for the inaugural event. The agency showcased the great product lines from their five retail stores currently in operation.Continue Reading »
All Blog Categories
- Advocate: News and updates regarding Goodwill's public policy and advocacy initiatives.
- De-Clutter and Donate: Provides ideas and systems to keep your home organized - and you in control.
- Career and Financial Advice: Weekly answers from Goodwill experts to your career and financial questions.
- My Story: Weekly, first-person stories from individuals, volunteers and staff helped by Goodwill's programs and services.
- Shop: Seasonal tips on making the most out your Goodwill shopping experience.
- Up to Some Good: Weekly news updates and highlights from across the Goodwill enterprise.
- Volunteer: Opportunties to serve your local community through volunteerism.