Balancing a career, family and finances is one of the biggest challenges facing single mothers today. According to the National Women’s Law Center, the average annual unemployment rate for single mothers during 2010 was 12.3 percent, the highest rate ever recorded for this group.
As single mothers look to find jobs and support their children, we can offer a range of services to help families achieve economic self-sufficiency.
Goodwill Supports Mothers and Strengthens Families
Goodwill helps many single mothers across the country attain their employment goals. Claudia Van De Ven, a U.S. immigrant, received career training to achieve her childhood dream of becoming a nurse.
“Now, I am confident, I believe in myself, and I can offer a good life to my children,” she says. “They are proud of mommy and they want to be nurses too. My life has truly changed. Goodwill provided many blessings to my family.”
Recently, Goodwill Industries International teamed up with the Walmart Foundation to launch the Beyond Jobs program. The initiative provides single mothers with tools they need to find employment, succeed in the workplace and most importantly, support their families. Not only will single mothers receive job training and career assistance, but they will also have access to financial education, transportation planning, child care assistance, nutrition programs and more.
Tips for Success as a Single Mother
Are you a single mother trying to balance your life and provide for your family? Check out these tips from,Goodwill Beyond Jobs program staff:
- Fuel your family with healthy food. Are you looking to feed your family nutritious meals on a low budget? Blogs like Real Mom Nutrition and Nourish Interactive have great tips for busy moms. You can also contact your local food bank or apply for Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) online.
- Create a plan for family finances. Developing a family budget and organizing your finances is crucial to a family’s success. Familyeducation.com and ParentsConnect.com have tons of great tips to help you save and spend your money wisely.
- Pursue education at your own pace. If you are working and caring for a family, online and evening classes can provide great flexibility for moms looking to add credentials on their own schedule. Check out these tips to advance your career by researching degree options and financial aid.
- De-clutter your life. By going on a “clutter diet,” busy moms can get organized, reduce stress, save money and become more effective parents. Once you clean out your closets, join the Donate Movement by giving your gently used items to your local Goodwill.
- Provide for your family with public benefits. Are you taking advantage of all the work support programs your family is eligible for? Take the Benefit.gov questionnaire to see what public assistance programs are available to help you and your children succeed.
- Find a support system. Leaning on family and friends to help you care for your kids can give you more time to advance your career. Also, sites like Project Single Moms and SingleMom.com can connect you with other single moms and offer great advice to help you handle your finances, save for education, and provide basic needs for your family.
Contact your local Goodwill to learn more about programs and services in your community that support single mothers and their families.