You know you need a job, and you know that being on a career path is the best option, but do you know what it is that you should be doing? Or what about, what you’d like to be doing?
Yes, there are a lot of options out there to learn about potential careers—you can intern, job shadow, simply read, etc.—but a person can be forgiven for thinking that the process isn’t always very interesting. Fortunately, there are fun ways to do some career exploration, and you can do them entirely online and on your own time.
- Do you like to watch Jeopardy? You can actually play a game very like it just to learn about different careers. Check out this version based on information from O*NET.
- Do you feel like an adventure? Choose your own and begin a mission on CareerShip with one of several options, including Match My Career Interests.
- If games aren’t for you but reading doesn’t sound like much fun, either, maybe videos—like these ones at MyPlan.com—can help. You can find plenty right on GoodProspects!
- Are you on Pinterest? Did you know that there are plenty of boards covering career exploration?
- iON Future is just one of many fun ways to explore the very hot world of STEM careers. (May not work in all browsers.) You could also try out the different games at CareerInSTEM.com.
- You might also find options through your state’s department of labor or workforce development, or through a local college.
The best part is, you can learn more about careers online first, then think about that internship or job shadowing opportunity, or even starting a credential program that could be your first step. Your local Goodwill® can help you decide on a smart path forward, too!